Resources (Books, Articles and Videos)

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Crickets: Battle with the Peeping Frogs

Tinnitus! The noise that sounds like ringing in the head or deafening noise in the head...I think it is in my head...sometimes I can't hear my thoughts. Tinnitus doesn't have a cure, so I decided to make friends with the 'crickets' in my head. Tinnitus made itself known after my left side brain was attacked by a clot that affected my auditory cortex.

When I'm tired...or my brain is tired...usually when I'm using language (talking or listening)...the 'crickets' explode in my auditory cortex! Now, it seems that the crickets might have to battle the 'peeping frogs'. You know how loud the peeping frogs are! Can they neutralize the crickets? Maybe!

There have been studies on rats that show that playing tones could reverse tinnitus. I don't know how researchers know that the rats have tinnitus...because people can't hear what I'm hearing in my head...because there is NOT sound or noise!! :)

What is the problem with the neurons in the auditory cortex that makes them be excitable anyway? It's almost like they are spooked by ghosts...where there is NO sound they perceive sounds! AND, we have NOISE in our heads!

Anyway, this is hope for tinnitus sufferers. Way to go Micheal Kilgard and your colleagues at the University of Texas in Dallas, we're waiting for you to make the crickets go away! I hope they have counselling for the rats thin the control group!

Still, "this is a good stepping stone," Tyler said. "It's an exciting step forward, and it will be interesting to see what happens with the humans." (Fighting noise with noise - The Scientist - Magazine of the Life Sciences)

Stay tuned to the battle of the crickets and the peeping frogs!

Read more: Fighting noise with noise - The Scientist - Magazine of the Life Sciences

No comments:

Post a Comment